Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things we have lost

1. Etiquette - Was looking for a book on etiquette for one of my granddaughters and when I asked about it the salesgirl said, "Is that the name of the book?" I tried to explain what it was and she took me to the teen section and showed me a book about sex.

2. Dressing in our best for church.

3. Whatever happened to ladies with hats and men also?

4. Ladies in dresses and sitting like ladies. I pass a college campus every morning and nearly everyone has on jeans. Once in a while you will see a skirt but very seldom.

5. Teaching children manners and respect..

6. Music - what they call music today is mostly noise.

7. Courtesy at the counter. When I worked in a department store as a teenager, we were told if we were not busy to look busy. Fold clothes, make things neat. I was also told, "the customer is king". In fact, in our training room was a picture of a lion with that saying under it.

8. Now you have to wai for the employee to finish her conversation or she rings you up while talking to someone else and never acknowledges that you are there.

9. Whatever happen to gentlemen? I recently had a man race me for a parking space. In a motel recently, I was nearly knocked down by a young man trying to get to a table.

10. Whatever happen to ladies? Ladies do not let their bust and/or their rear end show. Ladies don't swear in public. Ladies don't yank their children by the arm and yell shut up.

Okay, okay. I hear you calling me an old lady but we have lost the culture I grew up in and it is not a good thing. Let me know what you think.

7 comments:

Abigail and Lydia said...

I REALLY agree. Everything that you said is true. It's sad how our culture has become so sinful. Very, very sad. Thank-you very much for posting things like this. You don't really here anywhere else. Happy New Year!
Love,
Abigail

Abigail and Lydia said...

You are a grandmother of wisdom! You know what our culture used to be like, you can tell today from old books, movies, and music that it used to be so different!! Love you!
love,
Lydia

Abigail and Lydia said...

I agree!
Kellie

Pam said...

I miss those ways of life. Will they every come back? I know your GRANDchildren will have them. You are a good example.
Pam

Michelle g said...

It is so refreshing to hear your heart. Anna just turned 11, Caleb 14 and Joshua 16. As a mother, it is encouraging to know we can raise ladies and gentlemen. It is a commitment worth every effort we make. I love you.

Treasured Anew said...

Hello Lydia & Abigail's grandmother! You have a beautiful blog and I enjoyed reading your insightful comments. In our fight to become equals with men - women have lost the gentle spirit of the lady. We are reading the Elsie Dinsmore series, set in the pre-civil war era, and I observed that men treasured their women and were truly intent to be gentlemen, but at the same time the women couldn't vote and wore dangerous binding and sweltering layers of clothing. Here I sit in sweat pants and t-shirt extremely comfortable - not so for the woman of yesterday. It is a shame that standards have fallen so low in our dress and behaviour - but I think the scariest thing is how God has been removed from every aspect of our lives and is openly mocked. It takes effort to retain the good from the past but it is necessary to daily keep God foremost in our lives as examples to the generations to come and as living proof of who and what He is to a lost world.
Didn't mean to get preachy - but I agree with you!!! God bless. Beth

Gran said...

Well said, Beth. I really want my blog to touch the lives of young girls. I believe one of our biggest problems is the lost of the strong Christian husband and father. We all, male and female, have bought so many lies told to us over the years. For example, when I was having children back in the 70's all you heard was "overpopulation". What a joke. I am so proud of my children and their families. I wish I had had more children and I am so thankful for the grandchildren God has blessed us with.

I have many more things I want to share but it will take time and a lot of prayers. Thank you for your comments. Judy