Friday, August 20, 2010

Life Does Not Always Go the Way You Plan

My grandchildren have been after me to post but my life changed abruptly in January not long after I posted last. I went to the doctor for a simple procedure on my finger to clean out an open wound of gout. I ended up in the hospital for 6 weeks with mrsa (a serious staph infection). I came home very weak but slowly began to get stronger. On June 4th I had my last physical theraphy session and had just gotten in the car. My doctor called and told me I needed to go to the hospital as soon as possible. I had terrible swelling and couldn' get it under control. I was put on dialysis and spent two weeks in the hospital and two weeks in rehab. I came home very weak and not sure how we would manage. My husband told me we were going to be okay and that it was just going to take time to get stronger. He is my encourager and my helper and without him I couldn't make it.

Dialysis three times a week is not my choice of a way to spend time but I try to make the best of it. Most people sleep or watch TV but I usually take the paper with me and a book. Sometimes I do snooze a little. The place I go is brand new and the people who work there are very nice. I see my doctor there once a week as he goes from chair to chair so that is nice. So far I am doing well and have lost 50 pounds. The nurse yesterday said she thought 40 of it was extra fluid. I do feel much better.

My biggest problem is my gout which has crippled my feet and hands. All the things I love to do I can no longer do such as sewing and quilting. I can still read and I may try my hand at painting again. My life is certainly not what I thought it would be at this age. I wanted to be able to visit grandkids, swim with them, play with them and just have fun. One day when I was feeling very down my granddaughter, Mariah, said "Grandma, I'm just glad you are sitting in your chair."

It is too bad that I had a head knowledge of my body being the temple of God but never lived that way. It is so important to take care of yourself.

This has been a rough year with my illness, car air conditioning going out, and now we have to replace the air conditioning and heat in the house. Lige goes on and you have to keep on keeping on as Ed would say.

Another thing that has been very difficult is finding out Kellie and her family are moving to Kentucky. We will not be able to see them nearly as much and not be able to watch Lily Kate learn to do all the things she will be doing in the next few years. She is an absolute doll. We want be able t hop in the car and go see them because I will have to make arrangements for dialysis when we go. We will go though. They are going to live in a beautiful area and I pray they find a house big enough for all of them and good yard for the boys.

Well, now I have posted and I will try to do better from now on. Hopefully, my posts will be happier from now on.

2 comments:

Abigail and Lydia said...

Glad to see you finally posted! That is a sweet post~ Looking forward to more! :o)
Love you!!
Lydia aka Thelma

Carrington Faith said...

Thanks for posting Grandma!!!!! I agree with Liddie! I love you!!!!

Carrington xoxoxoxo