Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Out the Door and Christmas In

Wow! Decorated the house and table for Thanksgiving and one of my daughters and her family came for the day. Also had a member of our Bible study group who lives alone come and join us. My daughter and granddaughters fixed a lot of the food. I ordered dressing from a local restaurant and with much, much help from my husband, Ed, we got the turkey cooked and the mashed potatoes fixed. We made a recipe from The Pioneer Woman that you can make ahead of time. I put two things on the table from my childhood. Celery stuffed with pimento cheese and pickled peaches. Of course, no one would try the pickles but my husband and I enjoyed them. Some of the grandchildren liked the stuffed celery. I fed the baby several bites of peach and he would make an awful face but he kept eating. It was so funny. He finally raked the last piece off his tray and onto the floor. He had had enough!
After the girls got the kitchen clean, Matthew with a lot of help got all the Christmas decorations out of the attic. Matthew loves to decorate. The more lights he can put up outside, the happier he is. He was so cute (don't anyone tell him I said that) decorating because he was having so much fun. When he was little, he would say "ights are on, ights are off". Madeline, with a little help decorated the tree. It looks beautiful.
Now I have a tree up and fall decorations every where. I have some work to do. I can't complain. They got so much done - gutters cleaned out, roof blown off, leaves raked, and all the Christmas up up. They are go getters.
Today I have been matching up what I have bought for each one and what it cost. I like things to come out as even as possible. Yesterday we were still sitting at the table when Malachi, aged 4, came from the back with a rifle in his hands and a big grin. He had gone into Santa's workshop and that is a no, no. Madeline puts a big keep out sign on the door as soon as I start my shopping. Guess Malachi doesn't get it. We had to explain that Grandma buys for all her grandchildren and that might not be his present. That is the only thing he has asked for.
Well, I am getting tired. Ed took me to our little mall today and pushed me around for a while so I could enjoy being part of the crowd. That is love when your husband takes you to the mall on black Friday. He is not a shopper but he knows I love it. He did get two new pairs of pants out of it. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and as we look towards the celebration of the birth of Christ, let us remember what his love and sacrifice mean to us.

No comments: